Why is it so important to sleep well during pregnancy?
Well, sleeping is for sure one of the first activities we naturally learn to do, since we are born. However, becoming young and adults we have gradually lost the ability to conceive a good sleep. So, how could we improve it?
Some organic conditions are also responsible for deepen the difficulties we might have to sleep. Indeed, over a 78% of women experience disturbed sleep during pregnancy. And this is not a desirable situation at all, since women who have sleeping problems can undergo caesarean or experience longer labour duration. So a good sleep is proved to be the best friend for a birth without complications.
You need to be aware of some symptoms of pregnancy that might help you having problems with your sleeping, such as:
- Extreme fatigue
- Breast and general body tenderness
- Frequent urination
- Morning sickness
- Emotional turbulence
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Nasal Congestion
- Vivid dreams and Nightmares
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- More trips to the bathroom
- Strain on hips, shoulder and back
- Pains around the pelvis area
Other factors are not strictly caused by the pregnancy, or at least are not present on every pregnancies, but still complicate the sleep:
- Back pain: over 80% of pregnant women experience it!
- Shortness of breath
- Increased heart rate
The sum of these conditions, and the frequency with which they usually occur, reveal that by the end of pregnancy, over 97% of women wake during the night.
What can we do about this?
- First of all, avoid caffeine and sugar. We love them, it is true. But we can live without them for a few months!
- Get enough fluids, especially water.
- Avoid heavy meals before sleeping, and take light snacks instead: things like cheese, wholegrain muffins and warm milk are recommended.
- Have a warm bath before going to bed. This will relax you for a good sleep.
- Do not set the room too warm, it is important to keep it cooler than your normally high body temperature.
- Have sex if you feel like it, this can also leave you tired and relaxed. Touches and massages are more than beneficial!
- Do some relaxation exercises, including meditation or yoga practices.
It is important that you follow all this tips to prepare yourself for bed, but once there you should be well equipped to have the best sleep every night. For that, having a good mattress and an optimal pregnancy pillow is essential to help you be comfortable all night long.
Using a pregnancy pillow can help you:
- Cradling your body in all the right places, to make you feel like sleeping inside a cloud.
- Easing pregnancy symptoms and health issues.
- Promoting the optimal sleeping position during pregnancy, specially taking care of your back and your belly.
At the end, sleeping with a good pillow can prevent you for undergoing caesarean or experience longer labour duration. But as important as that, you should notice that enjoying pregnancy day and night is possible; you just need to ensure to be comfortable and relaxed as to dream happily and rested about the times to come.